Mobility Scooter Insurance – Everything you need to know

Thousands of people have mobility scooters to give them the independence and quality of life they need. They allow people with disabilities or life-limiting conditions to continue doing their daily tasks, including shopping, visiting friends and family, and going to medical appointments. One of the huge benefits is that town centres and shopping malls become far more accessible when a mobility scooter is used.

However, as people use them on roads, pavements, and in pedestrianised areas, there is an increased risk of collisions or accidents. Even the most careful of drivers may become involved in an accident or have their scooter damaged that may have been out of their control.
This is where having mobility scooter insurance can be a huge benefit to those wanting complete peace of mind. A suitable policy contains protection for you, and those around you, as well as covering repairs to your scooter should the worst happen.

Here’s our at-a-glance guide to getting the right insurance for your scooter:

Which class of mobility scooter do I have?

Class 2 has a maximum speed of 4mph. This can only be used pavements unless there isn’t a pavement. There is no need to register with DVLA.
Class 3 has a maximum speed of 8mph when used on road. When in use you must obey all regulations just like any other road user and have efficient brakes, indicators, a rearview mirror, a horn, and rear lights; Registration — must be registered with the DVLA and has a maximum weight of 150 kg. These can also be used on pavements at a maximum of 4mph.

Why is that important to know?

The insurance you buy will need to reflect how you use the scooter. We provide two levels of insurance and it is important you have the right amount of cover in place. This will cover things such as:
– Public Liability Up to £5million
– 24/7 Breakdown recovery
– Accidental Damage
– Theft and Vandalism
– No Excess
– And a lot more, please call our customer services department on 0333 200 1337. Our experts will help you get the information you need to get the right insurance for your scooter.

Is having scooter insurance a legal requirement?

No, it isn’t, but it is strongly advised by the Department for Transport and also many police forces.
You also should also think about how you’d cope if your scooter is stolen or damaged. In 2017 alone, there were 61 serious accidents reported involving scooters. Would you be able to get around if yours was off the road? Could you afford to repair it or replace it?

Why should I choose to buy it?

Put simply, you should take out insurance because it’s a good decision.
It can:
– Help you and your scooter get home safely if you break down.
– Cover the cost of repairing or replacing a mobility scooter if it is stolen or vandalised.
– Give you public liability, which helps if you have an incident where a pedestrian is injured. You should be protected from any compensation claim.
– Protect your investment.

What if my scooter is leased under the Motability scheme?

Insurance for all products leased under the Motability scheme is available via RSA Motability.
Cover includes:
– Being driven by the named person, though other people can be insured to move the scooter without driving it
– Theft and damage which stops the scooter working safely
– Up to £2 million legal liability for damage
– Up to £25,000 uninsured loss recovery and legal expenses
– Cover for permanently fitted adaptations and/or accessories supplied with the scooter
– Replacement keys for up to three times during your lease

You can find out more about RSAM here.

Do you need to find out more about mobility scooter insurance?

Please contact our customer services department on 0333 200 1337.Our experts will help you get the information you need to get the right mobility scooter insurance.

Are you looking to buy or lease a mobility scooter?

Take a look at our range of mobility scooters and find out more about our sales after-care, including scooter servicing, here.


Snowdrop Independent Living Ltd of Snowdrop Lane, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, SA61 1ET are an anointed representative of Mark Bates Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN:308390.

Sign up to our Newsletter