What is Motability?
Motability is a charity that helps people get mobile. They run the Motability Scheme, which lets you spend all or part of your higher rate disability benefit on hiring a scooter, power wheelchair, or car.
The scheme is open to anyone who receives
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- The Armed Forces Independence Payment
What can I get on Motability?
You can lease a car, a Wheelchair Assisted Vehicle (WAV), a mobility scooter, or a power chair through the Motability Scheme. You can find more information about leasing a car here.
Motability also provides means-tested grants to cover the costs of vehicle adaptations or advance payments.
How much does Motability cost?
You can hire a scooter or power chair from just £12.50 a week. This price includes:
- Tyre and battery replacement
- Breakdown assistance
Your lease lasts for three years, at which point you return your scooter or wheelchair and (provided you decide to renew) receive a brand new one to replace it!
How do I choose a mobility scooter or wheelchair?
There are a lot of factors to consider when you’re choosing a mobility device. From the initial choice between a chair and a scooter to the question of which brand and model, it can be hard to know where to start!
As Motability partners, our Snowdrop staff receive regular training and updates so that we can expertly assess your needs and help you find the right product for your lifestyle.
We can bring a selection of scooters or chairs to your home. This is a great chance for you to try some out, and for us to see what’s best suited to you, your lifestyle and your home. Then, together, we’ll decide on the very best match for you.
What are the benefits of choosing Motability?
On top of the lease scheme, which costs around 40% less than retail lease agreements, Motability can provide grants to cover the cost of advance payments and vehicle adaptations. This makes it a great way to save money.
But while the scheme is a good way to keep costs down, the main reason people like Motability is that it’s completely hassle-free.
Your payment won’t change while you’re on the scheme, and you don’t have to worry about anything once you’re set up. If anything goes wrong, Motability covers repairs, maintenance and servicing.
How do I apply to the Motability Scheme?
Applications are made through dealers who are partnered with Motability – like, for example, Snowdrop Independent Living! Here’s what to do if you’re interested in leasing a scooter or a wheelchair on the Motability scheme:
- Take a look through this checklist and make some notes, so you have the information to hand when you contact us. You can also have a look through some of the available scooters and power chairs to get an idea of what you might like.
- Get in touch with us to discuss your needs and to arrange an initial appointment. (If you’re based outside of South Wales you can contact Motability to find out who your local dealer is).
- Gather your proof of eligibility before your appointment (this will usually be a certificate of entitlement from the DWP and proof of address).
- Make sure you try a few different options to get a feel for what you like. You could print this checklist to help you compare the ones you try.
- Once you’ve made your choice we’ll check your eligibility documents and go through some forms with you, and… that’s it! All you need to do from there is sit back and wait for your new mobility device to arrive.
- On delivery day, we’ll ask for the PIN that you will have received from Motability in the meantime. We’ll make sure everything’s working before we go, and we’ll leave you with a welcome pack and our contact details in case you need anything.